I was
traveling recently by plane, and when I reached my destination, I went to Baggage
Claim to pick up my checked bag. I’m
sure you’re familiar with the scene… A crowd of people huddle around the
carousel waiting for the bags to emerge. Everyone waits anxiously, necks craning and
eyes searching for the one. If you’ve
ever stood there long enough, you’ll see the same bags circle ‘round and
‘round, time after time. Some bags are
snatched up right away, some are picked up by the wrong person in a case of
mistaken luggage identity, and others are left there until the whole crowd has
disappeared… circling around on the carousel, left unclaimed.
The term
“baggage claim” got me thinking about what I do or don’t claim in my life in a
spiritual sense. So let me pause and ask you: What
bag have you claimed?
Please
give me a minute to unpack this idea (I know, cheesy luggage joke). I believe that God has placed a unique
calling and destiny in you. For the sake
of this blog, we will call this your bag.
You have a bag to claim, a unique bag meant only for you, a bag packed
with an abundant life and tools to impact your world in a positive way. But sadly, many people never pick up that
bag. Too many of us have either picked
up a bag that was intended for someone else, or we’ve picked up bags that no
one was ever meant to carry. Too often,
people are picking up the bags of guilt, shame, unforgiveness, or
bitterness.
We walk
through life holding onto these bags instead of embracing and living out our
own destiny from God. In my own
experience, I got to a point of being tired.
I got tired of living with unforgiveness, shame, and guilt. Maybe you are at the same point.
Our
church has weekend retreats that are specifically designed to help us release this
kind of baggage (and they are greatly effective), but you can let go of those
bags anytime. I invite you to join me in
doing so right now.
1 Peter
5.7 says, “Give all
your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you.”
God
cares for you. He cares so much that He sent his only Son to
be beaten beyond recognition and to die so that you can release the bags that
weigh you down.
Will you
cast that bag back onto the carousel? Will
you pick up the destiny that God has designed especially for you?
What bag
do you claim?
_________________________
Tim
No comments:
Post a Comment